Sunday, April 25, 2010

Overall Use of Technology in the Math Classroom

Using a wide variety of technologies throughout this course has helped open my eyes to the many ways that technology can assist in teaching and learning math. That said, it has also made me more critical of the use of technology in the classroom. It is my personal belief that everything should be done in moderation, especially when trying something new. New technologies should be used in conjunction with old methods that have proven to be effective teaching tools. Students should be learning using math applets, calculators, SMART boards, and other new technologies, as well as more conventional learning tools such as paper and pencil, base ten blocks (physical blocks to pick up in your hands, not on the computer), unifix cubes, and pattern blocks. Using many different learning tools that are both high and low tech is one way in which a teacher can teach to a variety of learning styles and preferences. For many students, the use of technology is motivating, while for others it is frustrating.

More specifically, I think that the SMART board can be a positive teaching tool, though I can think of very few applications of the SMART board that can not be done with other technologies that are more commonly found in classrooms (i.e. projector, overhead, dry erase board, computer). One application that I do see the SMART board as uniquely useful for is the ability to project a graph, make notes on it, and then save the page. One of my main frustrations in using the SMART board is the inaccuracy of writing with the pen. I think it is important to model good handwriting to students, and I can not do this with the SMART board pen.

No comments:

Post a Comment